Duration: 2 nights (can be extended)
Big Red Package Cost: Coming Soon
Sika Package Cost: Coming Soon
To Book: Please contact Peter Steedman on 0274988910 to arrange access to the hunting block before booking your package with us. To book any of our hunting packages please get in touch with us by email or phone.
Our new hunting package is a first for River Valley.
This new package is made possible by our collaboration with the owners of the land, Aorangi Awarua, directly across the Rangitikei River from River Valley Lodge.
Working with the Aorangi Awarua Trust, we are delighted to be able to offer an accommodation package for hunters looking to access the block on the other side of the river.
What prompted us to reach out to the Trust and put some ideas to them was inspired by a group staying at the Lodge. This group, who were mostly keen hunters, had been scoping (with binoculars) the hills across the river from the Lodge carpark. In thirty minutes they counted 22 deer.
Talking to them, they told us what would be great would be able to hunt during the day, and then return to the Lodge in the evening for comfortable accommodation, a hot shower and a great meal. We thought, yes, we can make this happen!
The hunting land across the river is private Maori owned land, so access for hunters has not always been easy.
This package is designed for New Zealanders who don’t mind doing some hard slogging and are not looking for an overpriced, but, guaranteed experience.
We are offering two packages, one including private ensuited accommodation, the other, bunk room accommodation. Both options include meals and use of the facilities at the lodge.
River Valley provides the accommodation and meals package, however access to the hunting block must be booked directly with the Aorangi Awarua Trust. Please arrange access with Peter Steedman (hunting co-ordinator for the trust) on 0274988910. Prices start from $100 per person, per day for access to the block adjacent to River Valley.
Included in this package is;
- Two nights in a comfortable deluxe guest room with private bathroom (ensuite). Rooms can be made as a double or twin.
- Two 3 Course dinners with a complimentary drink (house wine, beer or soft drink)
- One packed lunch
- Use of a chiller at the lodge to store meat
- Use of the spa facilities at the lodge
Important Things to Note
- Hunters must obtain a permit through the Aorangi Awarua Trust.
- This is bush hunting. Hunters need to be reasonably fit, well prepared and have appropriate personal and safety equipment. We would strongly suggest that you carry and know how to use a GPS
- Hunters must have a valid firearms licence
- The block has a population of predominately Red deer
- We offer no guarantee of hunting success
- We have a chiller at the Lodge that is suitable for storing overnight any meat carried out.
- River Valley does not provide any equipment, or a guide.
- Meals, other than those included, can be booked as required. If departing on a hunt very early in the morning, we think it would be simpler for you to self cater for breakfast. Breakfast at the lodge is from 7.45-10am.